These corn and carrot cakes make a lovely light lunch or summer dinner with salad on the side or are a great starter for a healthy dinner party. Sweet corn cakes are also a great way to get the kids to eat a few more serves of vegetables too!!
- Preparation time-10minutes
- Cooking time-16-20minutes
- Makes 16-Serves 4
- Main Ingredient: New Season Corn Kernels
- Energy content: 300kCal/ 1300kcal (without any rice or noodles) see below for extras for 410kCal/ 1700kJ and 510kCal/2100kJ meal interchanges and special dietary needs
- 1 1/2 x 340g can New Season corn kernels, drained, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, grated finely
- 1/2 cup White Mill plain flour or gluten free plain flour, sifted
- Pinch each StoneMill ground paprika and cumin(optional)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- Pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chefs Cupboard chicken or vegetable stock powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup (60g) Westacre light grated cheese
- 2 Lodge Farms large eggs, lightly beaten
- Pure Vita Canola oil or Olive Tree Olive oil spray to coat
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced finely
- 1 red capsicum, char-grilled and skin removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon Asia Specialties sweet chilli sauce or gluten free sweet chilli sauce
Combine corn, carrot, flour, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, stock powder, coriander and onion in a bowl. Stir through lightly beaten eggs.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with cooking oil and heat 2 tsp oil over a medium heat. Place 1 tablespoon mixture per fritter, cooking 8 fritters at a time for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining oil and8 fritters. Cool.
Chunky guacamole: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
Serve corn and carrot cakes warmed and topped with chunky guacamole.
For 410kcal /1700kJ meal add one of the following:
- 50g Almare Smoked salmon
- 100g Courtway smoked chicken breast, 97% fat free ham or turkey breast